Airport delay is something that travellers wouldn’t want to encounter, but it still happens sometimes. It’s an unavoidable occurrence because there are things that are out of our control, like the unpredictable and changing weather conditions. If you’re a seasoned traveller, then you’re lucky enough since you already know how to kill time at the airport. However, new travellers might still be clueless in this kind of situation.
If you’re in Singapore, for instance, you might ask, ‘What am I going to do in Changi Airport?‘ Well, that’s an easy question. Changi has been ranked as the best airport in the world for consecutive years, thanks to its many forms of entertainment available. You can eat at a variety of restaurants, book a hotel room, watch a movie, take a stroll to see their attractions like the Forest Valley, and many more. It’s not only an airport, but an attraction and a shopping complex on its own.
Not in an awesome airport? The goal is still the same: to find something you can do to fight boredom. Here are some ways to entertain yourself while waiting for a delayed flight:
- Walk and do some more walking inside the airport. This can be a form of exercise when you’re killing time. Roam around and visit other terminals — if they’re accessible by foot or a free transfer — while waiting for your flight. This is a good way to loosen up your nerves and revitalise your body because you’ll be seated for hours once you’ve boarded.
- Relax. Sit down in an area where there isn’t much foot traffic. Meditate wherever you can so that you can release that pent up energy coming from the flight delay or cancellation. You can also check with your carrier if they offer a free spa or massage for passengers in delayed flights.
- Do some work. This is a great way to catch up on backlogs in case you’re a freelancer or do advanced work if you have workload set on another day. You can do all sorts of work as long as you have your laptop with you. In fact, some types of work can be done on your tablet or phone.
- Watch videos. Aside from work-related tasks, you can also play games, watch videos, and listen to music on your laptop. Catch up on your favourite shows, which you saved on your hard drive weeks ago but never had the chance to watch. You can also bring a pocket Wi-Fi or use the Wi-Fi provided by most airports if you want to stream videos instead. If available, some airports have computers that are free to use.
- Stay inside the premium lounge of your flight carrier if you’re booked business or first class. Lounges like these offer delectable food, reading materials like magazines and newspapers, and of course, free high-speed Wi-Fi. There are even lounges that have showers so you can freshen up.
Staying inside the airport during cancelled flights and delays shouldn’t be boring. Today’s airports have become massive, high-tech, and extravagant. It’s easy to spend hours inside without getting bored. Don’t linger on your frustrations and work with what you have instead.